Pages

Ads 468x60px

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Good, The Bad and The Smelly -- Front Load Washers

As I start my Saturday cleaning, I stared down my washer like we were about to fight. Maybe because that's how I feel before I do laundry...EVERY. TIME.

If you're like me you were sucked into the fascination and awesomeness of a front load washer and dryer.

 lowes.com

They looked so pretty and clean and new! And look at that fun storage compartment underneath!

If you're like me again, you started noticing your clothes smell kinda funky. After much worry, and then research, I realized that the very machine that was SUPPOSED to make my cloths smell Gain fresh was actually making them sour and stinky!

What to do, what to do. I bought all the cleaners on the shelves at Target that promised, just throw it in an run a cycle and your machine will be clean!! HAH!

So I will let you in on what I have to do to keep the stink down....at least until I get a new top load!

Let me introduce you to your new best friends...

clorox.com

and 

 borax.com

1. Once a day....yes I said *day* I run a clean cycle with one cup of bleach.

2. Once a week, I run a cycle with a cup of bleach and a cup of Borax.

3. I also make a solution out of Borax {follow the instructions on the box} and wipe the rim on the inside of the washer door.  You have to get in all those cracks and crevices. I have had some people tell me they do this between each cycle. I guess it just depends on how stinky it is.

4. After we're done with laundry for a period of time, I leave the door open, and the door that holds the soap and fabric softener open, to let it dry.

5. Lastly, I bought a small fan that I put inside the machine and run it constantly when it's not in used to dry it out completely and keep water from standing in the drum and getting moldy.

It has helped keep the smell down some on our machine, but honestly, I haven't been able to completely get rid of it. I hope you have more luck than me and that these few tips help!

Anybody else have this problem a and decided to go with a new top load? Love your top load? Let me know what brand it is because I'm goin' shopping!

0 comments:

Post a Comment